I got this recipe from Rainy Day Gal (Jenny Miller) site some years ago and I have been cooking using this recipe ever since. The flavor is what I was looking for when making Beef and Broccoli. This is an easy recipe to make and very delicious as well. I don’t need to order out anymore.
First, marinate the meat:
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips (I just buy a thin steak instead of flank)
- Whisk together the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Toss the steak with the marinade to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, then proceed below.
- 1/2 c low-sodium soy sauce (Do NOT use regular. The final product will be way too salty) (I use regular soy sauce and don’t have a problem)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 heads broccoli, crowns only
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour and sherry until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large wok or saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes, stirring often. Transfer broccoli to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Carefully add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture and saute for 3- 4 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce. Saute 1 minute more. Serve.